Tuesday, 23 September 2008

We live in Interesting Times

I don't know, what with the financial markets turning out to be houses built upon sand, the mightiest of banks naught but whited sepulchres and the British party of Government falling apart at about the same rate as our economy, it is proving to be, in the immortal words of one Margaret Hilda Thatcher "a funny old world".

So many very important things to think about, so much to learn. Whilst I am a political animal (but not a party political one)...I recognise my shocking level of financial ignorance. Of course when I was a young man, it was always considered vulgar to talk about money - wouldn't do to be taken for a box wallah, after all. Now it seems that without a detailed knowledge of derivatives and the workings of hedge funds, together with a clear understanding of the policies of what I understand is commonly called the "Labour" party...one is considered a knuckle-dragging yahoo... so I sigh, and set to oneside my books of Islamic jurisprudence, my beloved Celine, my own poor scribbles, even my sweet-voiced scarlet temptress... and set to work.

One might hope to garner useful intelligence from the internet, but here's the rub. Any sort of forum related to economics, or the credit crunch, or tax; any forum about the travails of the present Government or UK politics in general...turns out to be a troll-haunted rabble of disparate and often deranged opinion, largely unsupported by factual evidence, transmitted in the most arrogant and offensive manner possible. I thought sartorial websites were bad but these people...impossible. Simply impossible, my dears.

So I have concluded there is only one solution...the time-honoured one that has never yet failed me. I shall sit quietly, strum my ukelele, and await inspiration. I have no doubt that the solution to the world's financial and political problems will be within my grasp by tomorrow night at the latest.

Not that I plan to tell anyone what it is.

2 comments:

JJ said...

Whither thou?

Springheel said...

Busy busy busy, I'm afraid. You don't think capitalism collapses just by itself, do you? No, it takes that special combination of skills that only a British bureaucrat possesses, if one is to ensure utter destruction. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to conclude a major "Cod for Cash" exchange with the Icelandic Government.

I shall be back at the morse transmitter in a couple of days.

Pip pip!