I was out with Uncle Mac again last night, enjoying a gin or two with our mutual friend R - a lady considerably younger than me, let alone our mentor. As usual we were boring her stupid with endless reminiscences of better days, when dear old Mac told a tale which, to me, absolutely captured a moment in history.
I shall paraphrase:
...It was 1971 or thereabouts and we were undergoing the three day week. Nobody worked more than three days because of miners were on strike and there wasn't enough coal to generate sufficient power. Even then, we were working by candlelight in the evenings. And the IRA were bombing London. So one evening, there I was, scratching away by candlelight, when a bloody great bomb went off nearby. And out of the darkness, a voice pipes up ' You know, some nations might find this sort of thing a strain on morale.' ...
This is why I genuinely believe Britain will not be defeated by any terror campaign. We are no braver than anyone else. But we are very stubborn and we have incredibly low expectations.
Wednesday, 12 November 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Springheel, thanks for visiting me! I sent a link to your blog to my brother and he loved your word "prang" (of epic proportions).
I would love to know who the lady was....
Post a Comment