The Memsahib has been in Hong Kong for the past week and is now in Injah. I am, for the second time in a fortnight, left to my own devices.
The more astute amongst you might wonder how it is, under the circumstances, that I remain manifestly sober?
I would be the first to admit that this is an unforeseen and indeed unheralded occurrence. Standard Operating Procedure is that once She Who Must Be Obeyed leaves Springheel Towers, I draft a list of useful, instructive and rewarding things that I wish to do, then ignore it and get drunk instead.
Now, in part, my sobriety is because I can find nobody to misbehave with. The pool of reprobates grows, at my age, ever smaller. And it seems that the sub-group of those willing to put up with your intrepid correspondent is smaller still. Regrettably, people seem to find the prospect of an evening with a paranoid and hostile misanthropic drunk an unalluring one. Bah! Milksops, to a man.
It is under such unpromising circumstances that the true mettle of a drunk shows. Normally, one would simply bite the bullet, crack the bottle, and set to single-handedly until oblivion embraced one.
But these are not normal times. Springheel is a busy man, hedged about with care, burdened with responsibility. In a time of National Crisis, it would not be right for me to place my own interests, and the interests of my addictive personality, before the needs of the state. When the Call comes for Britain's Hardy Sons to flock to the Colours and march off to fight the Foe, it does not do to be lying insensate on one's drawing room floor, reeking of cheap brandy and cheaper champagne. One must take up the struggle with the Foe with clear eye and firm hand, not shaking like a palsied, rheum-eyed wretch.
Thus it is that I stand, sober and vigilant, ready to defend God, Queen and Empire. I man my post, waiting hopefully, patiently, for the moment when the parcel of rogues, traitors and trumpery knaves that constitute the current government are driven like mangy curs from office. Only then can I "stand down", setting aside my Webley revolver and tin helmet, my battered tin mug and packet of lend-lease spam sandwiches. Only then can I finally relax, no longer straining my ears for the warning sound of an imminent Labour Party broadcast, or watching nervously for a stray photograph of Gordon Brown. For it is then, as the music swells and the sun bursts through the clouds over Blighty, as an old, pipe-smoking countryman bends once again to set alight a pile of abandoned tyres, as clear-skinned Gals wipe one perfect tear of joy from their sparkling eyes, as a lone Spitfire victory rolls over the downs, as chirpy cockneys beat strangers unconscious on the streets of London, it is then, I say, that I will know that the worst has passed. That Blighty has survived the worst that democracy could throw at it and managed to remain ignorant, insular and reactionary. And then (and only then) will I know that my work is done.
And of course, I should add that I drank myself unconscious last weekend, when the Memsahib had a party.
Sunday, 7 June 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Wow. I had no idea Brown was in that much hot water from the English people. I love the way you write. It's so refreshing to read. Sorry your wife is gone, but it sounds like a great job to be able to travel. I'm sure she would be very pleased that you are staying away from alcohol while you are without her. You could always watch a DVD, or leave your wife a cute text message for later on.
as much as you are to be admired for your steadfast loyalty to god, queen and empire, you're qualities as a drunk leave much to be desired. a proper drunk wouldn't care a wit about one's traveling companions to the state of oblivion, or of god, queen and empire...unless it had some effect on the quantity of libations. (you will note, of course, i did not say "quality".)
I feel your pain, my good man. This past weekend, I was forced to imbibe alone as my steady drinking companions had family obligations. Unbelievable. I was forced to partake with two squirrels digging up my neighbors bulbs, a jay pulling worms from my lawn and two sets of pigeons nesting atop our garden shed. They turned out to be pretty good companions, in that they didn't drink all of my stash.
Unlike foxes, duplicitous and greedy creatures which I can only counsel you never to allow into the bosom of your home.
They will drink you dry, then inveigle you into going out to a late night grog shop and bringing more alcohol back. And in the morning it will all be gone - as will the foxes themselves. And you, my dear fellow, will be accused of having drunk the lot. It's the unfairness of the business that upsets me...
Post a Comment