Monday, 22 June 2009

Mi Buenos Aires Querida

Did you miss me? No? Not even just the teensiest bit?

No...I didn't think you would. Oh well...

I've been in Argentina, as you would expect. A pretty quiet trip, all in all; nothing special, really, just the usual sort of thing...Coca binges in the altiplano, whale shooting in patagonia, a ride over Iguazu falls in an old whisky barrel and then a six day bender in Buenos Aires. One gets so dreadfully tired of the routine but what can one do? Those dear latin boys and girls...such elegance, such suppleness... and such energy. I find myself quite exhausted.

And the memsahib is so full of plans and schemes, always up at some ungodly hour of the morning and itching to be off on another adventure. I found myself seeing 5 am from the wrong side (ie getting up, not winding down) far too often for my taste. Not that I couldn't do it: Springheel can up and at 'em with the very best. But it left me too tired, in the final days of our little jaunt, to visit a milonga and do what I had set my heart on doing. Fatigue, and the disruption caused by swine flu, meant I failed to tango. And I had rather hoped to tango in Buenos Aires.

You did not know that I danced? You did not realise that I am a disciple of Gardel, an afficionado of Piazolla, a member of the cult of Troilo? That I am unable to hear the bandoneon played without a quickening of the pulse? That I thrill to the sight of a well-executed ocho?

Ah, earthlings, there is so much about me that you do not know.
Which is probably for the best.

Pip pip!

2 comments:

Lynn said...

Welcome back. I thought about you last Friday. I met a woman who came from England, somewhere near Windsor Castle. But she married a US serviceman and has lived in the US for 40 years. I thought about you and hoped you hadn't decided to give your blog a permanant rest. She said England had changed a lot since she was a girl, lots of closings and smaller towns, and no need for a car in London. You couldn't get around with one, it was so congested. I've never been to Argentina, so I enjoyed your post.

~Tessa~Scoffs said...

Missed your witty posts horribly whilst you and the memsahib frolicked in The Argentine. I say, give a chap some warning next time.