I am in a corking mood tonight because I have been re-reading "On the Beach" and I do love a happy ending.
As those familiar with Mr Shute's novel will recall, EVERYONE dies. And there really isn't a happier ending than that. It is regrettable that Mr Shute's science is not entirely reliable (although he does explain the inordinately high levels of radiation, the levels, and their spread, are unrealistic). And frankly, Nuclear war, whilst appealing, is not the ideal solution to the problem of culling homo sapiens sapiens, because it isn't sufficiently devastating. Some of us might get away, and that would never do.
No, for those of us who are working toward omnicide, there really has to be a portfolio approach toward removal of the species. I see a number of key mechanisms:
- a general weakening of the reproductive power of humanity due to pollution;
- increased susceptibility to disease through over use of antibiotics and other drugs and the impacts of background pollution;
- increased interaction facilitating the spread of disease;
- nuclear weapons proliferation and political/military incompetence
- human stupidity ( a constant factor in my view)
What we need to do is work tirelessly to encourage nuclear proliferation, whilst also preparing as many "virgin soil" epidemics as humanly possible and encouraging the widest possible pollution of the planet. That ought to do it. Mass plagues...social collapse... war...famine... Excellent.
I suppose I could compromise on mass human sterilisation. But it just wouldn't be the same
Friday, 1 August 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment